Wednesday, August 12, 2009

More About Meredith




I never really finished telling Meredith's story (somehow I've been busier than usual lately!) We'd met with Amy, the birth mother, and her friend and also the caseworker on Sunday at breakfast. Afterwards we took the boys over to the hospital to meet their little sister for the first time. They were so adorable with her! Noah's first words when he saw her were, "oh cute!" They both held her so tenderly, and were so sweet and protective of her. I think the pictures of them with her are worth a thousand words.

Scott took my mom and the boys back to our rental house and I spent most of the rest of the day there. He came back in the evening and we all spent some time together, and then had to go home and get a little bit caught up on sleep.

The next day, Monday, was almost as stressful as Saturday had been. The Illinois agency we were working with had a bunch of paperwork that hadn't yet been finished. We knew Meredith was going to be released from the hospital that day, and unless the paperwork was finished she wouldn't be able to be released to us. She would have to go to a foster family, which would be terrible for us and for the birth mother as well. Scott had a business meeting in Phoenix, and he spent the entire drive there and back on the phone trying to make sure everything got done. Our Gladney caseworkers really worked hard for us and, thank goodness, everything fell into place. I left the hospital with Meredith and Scott and I both ended up arriving at the rental house within just a few minutes of eachother. So we got to bring Meredith "home" together.

She spent her first night there with us, and did quite well. The next morning (Tuesday) the birth mother signed the relinquishment papers. Afterward we met our caseworker, Vanessa, at a Starbucks and signed all of our papers (even more signatures than when we bought our first house.) Finally we were all done. I didn't realize how stressed I'd felt until it was all over and a huge weight rolled off of my shoulders. Vanessa gave us a teddy bear for Meredith, and she'd given a matching one to Amy. We then went to Amy's house so that her children could meet Meredith. It wasn't something you'd do in most adoptions, but we felt very good about doing it. 2 of her kids were there, an 11 and a 12 year old. They were so sweet, and had written a note for us, thanking us for taking care of Meredith. Amy got to have "closure" - - we talked for about 45 minutes and she got to hold Meredith one last time. It was somewhat emotional right at the end, but Amy said over and over that she knew she was doing the right thing. What a wonderful lady she is, to make such a sacrifice for us. We were so happy!

The next day Meredith had her first doctor's appointment (a requirement before we left the state). Then we drove to Phoenix to wait for clearance to leave. We stayed in a nice condo/hotel with a kitchen and laundry, very convenient. There was also a swimming pool, but it was so hot that I didn't even venture out. Scott did swim with the kids though. Speaking of hot, I left my cell phone in the car and the heat ruined the screen. Yikes! It got up to about 115 while we were there. I don't know how people manage to survive those kinds of temperatures!

That weekend was the Garner family reunion, and Scott decided to go and take the boys, leaving Meredith and my mom and me there in AZ. It was kind of a nice break. We spent several hours at the mall, just to keep from going stir crazy. Lots of people commented on Meredith, saying what a beautiful baby she is. A couple of people said how great I looked after just having had a baby, and I had to admit that I hadn't actually given birth. It was nice though! And at least no one said, "wow, you only have about 10 pounds left to lose!"

Scott left Ethan in Idaho with his parents, to "work on the farm" for a few days. He and Noah came back and Omi left. Oh it was so nice to have my mom there for me! She was so helpful, watching Meredith so I could nap, and we had a lot of fun talking and reading and watching tv and eating (Mom is a great cook, and always puts me to shame). Anyway it was a huge help and support to have her there, I don't know how we could have done it without her!

Scott and I had a couple of nice days together with Noah and Meredith. We had Sunday dinner at the home of our friends the Woodwards, who moved from Illinois a few years ago. It was so nice to see some familiar faces, and great to chat with them. We were really hoping to get clearance to travel on Monday, because Scott had business in Illinois on Tuesday, and sure enough, it came through. I was a little bit nervous about traveling with Noah and Meredith, but they both did great! It was wonderful to finally be home with our little angel.

Ethan flew back home along with Grandma Garner, who stayed for several days. That was wonderful too, because it took a lot to keep the boys entertained and take care of a baby at the same time. She also watched them while Scott and I took Meredith downtown to do some legal stuff. We had to go to the Daley Courthouse and meet with our attorney and present her at the sherrif's office where she was "served" with papers (the guy had to literally touch her with the papers!) Then we had to go before a judge, who asked us a few questions about work and our living arrangements. Meredith was perfect throughout. It looks like the adoption will be complete sometime in January. Could be sooner, but we're not counting on that. But barring a felony on Scott's or my part, she's ours!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a good story--I am so glad you wrote it all down. It will be nice for her to read when she gets older. So glad she is part of our family.

Gretchen said...

I get weepy everytime I read about your amazing addition. I'm so happy for you all. She is precious!