Saturday, October 23, 2010

It's Autumn Time!

I am so glad it's finally Fall! This was a long hot summer and I'm grateful for the cool, crisp weather. September was really a beautiful month. The kids got settled back into school and are enjoying their new classes. Ethan is doing well in his last year of middle school. He decided to do cross-country this year, since a couple of his buddies were doing it. It was not easy, he had practice almost every day after school and one to two meets per week. But he did great! I was so proud of him sticking to it. He turned out to be a great runner, continually bettering his times for the two-mile. He especially was good at pouring on the steam during the last 50 or so yards. He enjoyed it so much that he plans to do track in the Spring. Yay Ethan! Ethan is also working hard on merit badges for scouts, and continues to learn about World War II in his free time.

Noah is also loving school. He had to miss a few days in the middle of the month to go to the hospital for a "colon cleanse." It's even worse than it sounds. He had to have a naso-gastric tube (through his nose and into his stomach). He was fed gallons of solution through the tube until his entire digestive tract was empty. It took 3 days. Noah was really tough. He pulled out the tube onece, but after we stuck it back in he realized we meant business and after that he wouldn't let anyone touch it. Even though he felt sick at times he was a great patient. Thank goodness for his DVD player and Barney and Elmo DVDs.

Noah continues to study hard and his speech has become quite clear. He loves to write numbers and letters and draw pictures. It's pretty unusual for him not to have a pen and paper in hand.

Meredith is such a little doll! She is walking very well now and can go up and down the stairs. Her first word was, "hi," which is typical of her extremely friendly nature. She can also say "Mama" and "Daddy" and "nose." She loves books and has finally stopped chewing on them and started looking at the pages! She is such a sweetheart and we are all just crazy about her. She smiles constantly and likes to give high fives and fist bumps (the scouts taught her that.) She also, on her own, folds her arms for prayer. It's so cute!

Scott is traveling a lot for work, 2 or 3 days every week, usually. When home he loves to take Noah and Meredith to the gym so he can play tennis. We've also gone out to eat with friends a few times, which is always fun.

I am enjoying my graduate class (Information Literacy) more than I thought I would. I have learned so much and it's great to feel like I'm putting my brain to work. I am learning about researching, especially academic journals, and I've started work on a 20 page paper about the benefits of signing to individuals with Down syndrome (my choice of topic, obviously.) I also recently was called to be the primary chorister and have been busy getting ready for the primary program. And the Down syndrome group keeps me occupied with various activities and the bi-monthly newsletter.

It was great to take a break from all that stuff and go out to Utah for Kyle and Linzi's sealing! How wonderful to see them after so long, and it was great to see Linzi's family again (they're so much fun!) I stayed with Beebs and she and Heidi and I stayed up late talking and laughing like crazy. We also enjoyed an all-girl shopping spree that lasted most of Friday. Fun! Beebs is always such a great host and it was great to hang out with family. I was pretty bummed when I had to leave, but glad to see Scott and the kids again. Wow do I wish we lived closer together sometimes!

Love and miss you all so much!
Ali

No comments: