Saturday, July 19, 2008

Long, long ago . . .

Following my friend Stacey's example (and inviting anyone else to do so) I'm writing about what I was doing 5, 10, 15, and 20 years ago. If I can remember back that far. Five years ago Ethan was 6 and Noah was 3. Ethan had just finished kindergarten, and with both kids home all day during the summer I was probably going a little nuts. I think that was the year Scott was working in San Francisco for United - - he spent more time there than he did at home. I don't remember much more about that time, I think I've blocked it out.

Ten years ago I wasn't yet 30, and Ethan was just a baby. I was halfway through dental hygiene school, in the middle of summer semester. That was crazy, taking care of a baby and trying to learn about teeth, I don't know how I made it. Going back to school was one of the hardest things I've ever done, but it was sure worth it, I love my job. Also during this time Scott was working on a business deal on the side that took a lot of extra time and energy but it also eventually paid off.

15 years ago was the best summer of my life, I was engaged to Scott and getting ready to be married. I'd been home from my mission about 5 months and I was working in Salt Lake City for a discount LDS bookstore (Seagull Book and Tape). I was living with Lears, having so much fun with Katie and I'm sure talking her ear off about my fiance. Scott was in DC but he came out and visited several times and I went twice to visit him. Because we saw each other so rarely we always had a wonderful time whenever we were together.

20 years ago I had finished my first year at Ricks and was taking summer classes and working in the reading lab. Hadn't dated much, but was having fun in college. I still lived at home and I think I drove my parents a little crazy. But it was great having my dad working on campus, we used to sometimes have lunch together and we drove in together most days.

OK, that was therapeutic. It was fun to look back and think about those times, good and bad, and to see that I could get through the hard stuff.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

it seems like another lifetime doesn't it? fun read!

Anonymous said...

memories. I remember when you were engaged and you shared with me the song by Marc Cohn, True Companion, and I became a big fan. It is a great love song!