Thursday, February 26, 2009

Weekend at Beebsie's

Last weekend I got to visit family in Salt Lake. Scott stayed here in Chicago and watched the kids, bless his heart! I flew out Thursday morning. United has new planes they're flying into Denver (they'll be international planes soon) - - they have a new configuration, and the business class seats not only lie flat, but they have large tv screens (as big as a computer screen, and a bit wider). Everything is digital and you get a remote so you can choose from among about 30 movies, 30 tv shows, and a bunch of games for kids or adults. I watched the movie, "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas." Not a great airplane movie, but then I only watch movies on airplanes. It was a wonderful show, but incredibly sad. I recommend it to anyone that's not too sensitive (Heidi, you shouldn't watch it). I'm surprised it didn't get more press, because the acting is truly stupendous. But it did have a dampening effect on my spirits.

I got to Salt Lake at noon and Beebs (my sis) picked me up. We went home and just hung out for a while. I hadn't seen her or her kids since the fall, and it was fun to see how they'd grown (the kids, not Beebs - - she's as skinny as ever). She and her hubby went to the temple Friday night so I got to spend some time with W and A and B (ages 5, 3 and 1). I was a little concerned, because they're somewhat wary around strangers, and I hadn't spent much time with them before, but we had a great time! Friday morning I watched them while Beebs went to a dr. apt. We had most of the rest of the day to hang out. We played a bunch of card games (Phase 10, so fun) and talked and laughed and ate. Even though she's 6 years younger than I am, Beebs and I get along so well and have so much in common. She's in an interesting phase of life, with 3 little boys running around, but she does great. She's so patient. And what a cute house they have. Every time I go I think, "if I ever build a house again I'm going to do that and that and that . . ." Also her hubby is very hand around the house and actually put in a wooden floor while I was there. Scott and I don't even like to change light bulbs :)

Friday night my sister Heidi and my mom drove down from Idaho. I hadn't seen them for a while, and it was especially great to see Heidi, who is pregnant, and so fun despite her constant nausea! We stayed up late talking that night, and then got up to go shopping on Saturday. We spent quite a bit of time at Ikea. There's an Ikea here where we live, but I never go there. They have some really cool things. We ended up not buying anything, but we got a lot of good ideas. We had a yummy lunch, Mexican food, which made my stomach hurt the rest of the day. That evening Beebs and hubby went to stake conference and Heidi and Mom and I played with the kids and cleaned the fridge (note: isn't it interesting that it's so much more fun to clean when it isn't your house and when your friends are there with you?)

Sunday was stake conference, and I was really impressed by the boys' good behavior. It's not easy to sit for 2 hours, but they did well. Then we went home and had delicious lasagna and monkey bread for dessert. Monkey bread is Ethan's latest recipe from his life skills class - - I'll post the recipe on cousin's chronicles (or better yet, I'll have him post it). Mom and Heidi had to leave after dinner, and I was sad to see them go. But we'll be going out to Idaho for spring break, and I'm certainly looking forward to it.

Monday Beebs and I went shopping before she took me to the airport. I was so excited to go to Deseret Book (because of course there isn't one here) - - I got a couple of books for the boys and Beebs bought me some scripture marking paraphernalia and another book. We also went to Borders, and then to Chick-fil-a for lunch (I always have to get a chicken salad sandwich when I go there).

All in all it was a wonderful visit, even though I missed Scott and the kids. I love being with Beebs because we laugh so much (also with Heidi and Mom). I wish we lived closer to family!!! But we'll be seeing everyone in May when my little bro get married. I can't wait.

Thanks Beebs!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

First off, for those who don't know who Beebs is--just FYI, that is my nickname!!!
And--I had the greatest time with you!!! Thanks so much for coming out here (and thanks to Scott for allowing it...) And thanks for watching my kids ALL the time. I took Brennan into the doctor for his 15 month checkup and he said the tummy trouble is going around, and that this age is a very CRABBY and stranger anxiety age, so Brennan's attitude the whole time was normal for a child that age... He really isn't so bad normally... :)
And thanks so much for being a great sister and friend!!!

Virginia Brown said...

It was so fun to see you, Ali. Loved our time together. Can't wait for your visit to our house in March. Omi

kimandval said...

When are you coming to visit us and clean our fridge? :)
Sounds like you all had a great time. And Heidi is pregnant!?
-Val