Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Back Home

We arrived last night (this morning) at 1:00 and all crawled into bed immediately. We'd flown from Barcelona to Frankfort, then to Washington D.C. and finally here to Chicago (and add to that the shuttles and taxis and car rides). It was about a 24 hour trip. And yippee, Noah stayed dry the whole time. Boy can he hold it! Lots of progress in that arena. Still more progress to be made. And it's about time because today is his 9th birthday! We're saving the celebration until tomorrow night when Omi comes. I didn't even get treats to take to his class today, I'll have to do it tomorrow. But he was just so happy to be home that he didn't care. The last 3 days of the trip he kept saying, "go home?" and that was the bribe we used to keep him happy on the way. Also the bribe of Omi coming to visit - - he's very excited!

Since it's his birthday, a little update on Noah. His fine motor control has improved exponentially this school year. He often carries a little notebook around with him and writes little scribbles. But he also draws recognizable faces (sometimes they look like paramecia because of the hair all the way around the head). He also makes wonderful rocket ships, and he loves to draw numbers. His ones, twos, threes, fours and sixes are great. His nines look like lollipops. He makes letters sometimes as well, but right now he's really into the numbers. He filled an entire 100 page notebook while we were travelling. Cute stuff!

Noah is also becoming much more articulate. We're working with him on saying each word in a sentence, and sometimes signing the words as well. A couple of my favorite phrases: "of course," when I ask him to do something, and "I know," when I tell him that I love him. He loves to sing, too, and his favorite song is "Follow the Prophet." I can't believe my little guy is 9! I've been thinking back to the day he was born, and how thrilled we were with him. We've had challenges, but he has brought us joy every day of his life and we love him with all our hearts.

I've been up since 4:30 this morning (Europe jet-lag, I get up early and feel great, but by 6 p.m. I'm wiped out). I've unpacked everything and have about half the laundry done (there were no laundry facilities on the ship so we have loads and loads.) Wow, do I have a lot going on this month! And my house is a big hairy mess!

1 comment:

Gretchen said...

I can't believe Noah is 9. Happy Birthday! He and Tyler are just a couple months apart...seems like ages ago huh!

I'm glad to hear that he is doing so well! Our potty training with Edison isn't going well at all. I think I'll pick it up again in January (and I'll be calling you becuase the current method is a waste of time)!