Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Adoption, part 1,000,000

Argh. I tell you, if people had to go through what we've gone through adopting, just to be able to have a kid, the entire human race would have become extinct years ago. We've already had to do 2 addendums to our home study since September (costing $325). Now we find out that we have to do basically a whole new study, with a home visit and everything. It will cost at least $1,000. I've already spent 2 hours filling out just one of the forms (questions: how has adoption affected your marriage? How have your thoughts on parenting changed? How do you feel about your adoption agency?) I'm just so grateful that we have a match, and so far everything with that looks really good. I just can't believe we have to go through the whole home study again. Last time I spent about 50 hours deep cleaning my house - - they look everywhere, including behind the shower curtains! It turns out you need a renewed home study within 6 months of the adoption, which means that unless you apply and are immediately matched with an at least 3 months pregnant birth mom you're going to have to do it twice. We also have to get new FBI and state criminal clearances and new medical okays.
I just keep telling myself that it will all be worth it when we bring our baby home, and I know that it will. But it's not going to be easy getting through the next 2 months!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so puzzled by all of the red tape. I am sorry you have to deal with that.

I hope the time flies and your family will be all fine soon!

Gretchen said...

Sheesh! What a pain! It will totally be worth it when you have that sweet little girl in your arms! Hang in there. You're home is beautiful - perfect place for a new little one!